How to Make a Website: Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners
Hey, In this tutorial, I’m gonna talk about how to create a blog/website for beginners. In the last tutorial, I install WordPress on my Hosting Space. Now, you have the link to your website. So, enter your URL into a web browser and hit enter. Your website will open. You can see your website is ready but it’s a sample website. To make it creative & attractive you have to customize it. For that open your website into another tab and after .com write /wp-admin and hit enter. So, in this way you can log into the backend of your website. They will ask about your WordPress id/password & login into WordPress.
How to create Website/Blog on WordPress?
- Select Theme: Once you logged in to WordPress 1st of all you have to select your website theme. So, Go to Appearance & select Theme. Now, there are lots of option of the theme please select whatever you like. Click on Add New for more options. In my opinion, If you want to link your website to Google Adsense then please select a simple theme which has less picture & videos. So, you can get approved my Google Adsense easily. Once approved by Google Adsense then you can add/change theme whatever you like. Select your theme & click Install & Activate it. Don’t worry, you can change it anytime. Now, go to your website tab & refresh the page. You can see your theme is installed on your website.
- Customize your website: Go to Appearance & select Customise. A different theme has their different customize options. 1st is Site Title. Add your site title, tagline, If you want to add a logo of your site select logo and upload it. You can also add Site Icon from last option. Select site icon and upload. Once all done hit Save & publish. Now, go to your site page & refresh it. There are different options like header image, background, Menus, Widgets etc. So, choose different option & customize your site as you want. Now, go to Front Page Display & select Your Latest Post (If you are making a blog). Otherwise, choose A Static Page, select Front Page, Post Page and save & publish. Close Customise page and go to Dashboard.
- Permalinks: It’s very important for your site & SEO purpose. Go to Settings and select Permalinks. Now, Change common settings & select Post Name. It means If anyone searches about your post then Google find your post easily If you choose Post Name otherwise it will not possible to find your post by Google. So, make you are selecting Post Name & Save Changes.
- Create Page: There are 2 methods to create Page. 1st is Go to Pages & select Add New & 2nd is you can add a new category of your post and then add a category to menus. It’s a good idea instead of creating a new page. For that, you have to add a category, click on Posts & select Category & add a new category. Now go to Appearance and select Menus and select Category from the sidebar and select which you added. Select Add to Menus & Save Changes. Refresh your site tab and your category is added to a new page. So, in this way, you can add a new page.
- Create Category: If you want to write a post on different topics then you have to add particular Category & you can add a post to it. For that, you have to go to Posts & select Categories. Now, add the name of category, slug & Description & Add New Category. So, in this way you can add New Category.
- Create Post: To create a new post go to Posts from the sidebar and select Add New. Now the 1st post is by default post If you want to remove it then select Trash option. Add Post title and Description, you can also Add Media and insert a link. But make sure please select Visual and then write a post. 2nd option is Text, it means you can add HTML coding to create a table, insert ads etc. You can also give different titles, paragraph, headings etc. for that you have to click on Paragraph & other options will show. Add this post to different categories, to add select checkbox & select Format, it means your post is standard, image, video, audio, chat etc. & add related tags. Set a Features Image of this post from last option. You can upload an image from there.
- Save Draft, Preview, Publish: You can also save your post, to save click on Save Draft. Once your post is completed then you have to preview your post before publish so you can your improve mistakes. You can also add Date, If you want to post an article on a different date then select Date and hit OK otherwise Date will automatically add. All done click on Publish & you can see your post on your site (Refresh your site page). If you want to delete your Post then click on Move to Trash.
- How to link Pages to Menus: To create a new menu go to Appearance & select Menus. Enter the name of menu & Create menu. Now select Manage Locations & choose Main Menu & select whatever you added & Save Changes. Again go to Appearance & select Menus. Select Custom Links & add URL of the page which you want to link with Menus & add Menu name. Select Add To Menu and Save Changes. So, in this way you can link any page to Menus.
- Plugins: Plugins are like Applications. To run your smartphone you need Applications so, in WordPress you need Plugins to customize your site. There are different types of Plugins in WordPress. To add New Plugins go to Plugins from your sidebar and select Add New. If you have plugins then you can directly upload to your site for that choose Upload Plugins otherwise you have to download it. Search plugins and Install on your site & you have to Activate it to use.
- Add/Remove widgets: To add/remove widgets go to Appearance & select Widgets. Now, you can remove widgets from your sidebar, to remove simply Drag n Drop to widgets. To add, again Drag a widget and drop it in the sidebar. Save it & refresh site page and you can see widget add to your sidebar.
So, in this way you can create you own stunning website on WordPress.
Share if you like & If you have any question regarding this tutorial then leave comments below.